The world economy has changed from a predominantly manufacturing to knowledge and innovation based. Knowledge and Innovation are the most important factors in determining a country's standard of living and by extension, its ability to create jobs. Based on this change, we require a new paradigm, targeting and developing the ingenuity and entrepreneurship of all our constituents: students, academic and administrative staff, alumni and other partners.
The College of Business and Management (COBAM) sees its role in the development of the Jamaican economy as a center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Business and Management. To achieve this, we intend to be a destination of choice for high-quality staff and students; to be known for our excellence in real world teaching, research, and service; to have deep engagement within the communities we serve; to produce graduates who can work effectively in a changing and globalized workplace.
An important part of our strategy is to (a) stimulate growth by incentivising the development of new businesses which use IT and other technologies, (b) support the hospitality and tourism industry through training and research with indigenous foods and culture (c) help entrepreneurs find the answers they need to start, sustain and grow their businesses, (d) create a public sector-private sector-university triage to facilitate the growth of industries and (e) enhance the innovation and business capabilities to better access markets and business opportunities.
Our values are based on three pillars:
- Quality: in all aspects of our operations including the students we enrol and graduate, the staff we employ and the customer service we provide.
- Community: our connection to and reciprocal knowledge sharing with the community we serve for mutual development.
- Integrity: in the way in which we teach and conduct research; a commitment to ethics both in our own actions and the actions we encourage and expect from students, as a part of our curriculum; and a focus on social responsibility.
The College of Business and Management graduates the most sought-after students from our four Schools and the following disciplines:
- School of Business and Management:
- Undergraduate Degrees with specializations in : Accounting, Administration & Information System Management, Banking and Finance, Human Resources Management, Marketing, Production and Operations Management, General Management, Economics, Leadership and Organizational Studies and Retail Management
- School of Hospitality and Tourism Management:
- Under-graduate Degrees with specializations in: Hotel and Resort Management, Tourism Management, Meetings and Special Events Management, Culinary Arts and Management, Food and Beverage and Food and Beverage Management
- Joan Duncan School of Entrepreneurship Ethics and Leadership
- Research and Consultancy in business related areas particularly Entrepreneurship Ethics and Leadership, Business Incubation Services and a Business Clinic for Small and Medium size Enterprises (SMEs)
- UTech/JIM School of Advance Management
- Graduate Degrees with specializations in: Entrepreneurship, Finance, General Management, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Marketing and Agripreneurship
DBA & PhD: Business Administration
Great things are happening at the College of Business and Management, come and join the excitement and change the world.
Dean, College of Business & Management