PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES OF FACULTY
The Faculty of Science and Sport provides educational opportunities, research and consultancy services related to the application of science and technology to the educational, industrial, business and health sectors. The Faculty continues the tradition of the Department of Science and Mathematics in offering quality science and mathematics modules to all Courses of Study in all faculties across the university. Additionally, the Faculty offers its own science and mathematics Courses of study to both undergraduate and graduate levels. Research and other scholarly activities will provide the bases for creating new knowledge that will spawn innovation and new technologies. An environment will be maintained that will provide intellectual and professional stimulation. Teaching will be kept current and dynamic and of value to the community. Through consultancy projects and sponsored research the Faculty will support local industries and institutions in both government and the private sector.
Building on the foundation of the Department of Science and Mathematics the Faculty supports academic rigor in all its deliverables. Its academic programmes are designed and delivered in such a way that all students are prepared and motivated to successfully complete them. The Courses of Study that are offered will be relevant to the needs of society, thus preparing graduates for employment and further education. The Faculty of Science and Sport will increase UTech’s capacity to meet society’s need for well educated professionals in applied science and will maintain awareness of the state of the disciplines represented in the Faculty, the state of the economy and the needs of students and employers.
To fulfill its commitments the Faculty will:
1. maintain and enhance faculty expertise
2. keep abreast of technological advances and contribute to these advances through relevant research
3. provide modern educational and research facilities
4. deliver relevant and quality Modules and Courses
5. seek accreditation for all its Courses
6. enhance teaching skills
7. attract more people to the applied sciences
8. provide opportunities for continuing education and life-long learning
9. provide Courses and delivery modalities that will serve employed and place- bound students as well as traditional students
10. maintain awareness of the problems within the wider society for which solutions are sought
11. prepare bid and consultancy proposals to offer services where needed
12. mobilize appropriate consultancy teams to effectively offer required services